FAQs for Schools

Are you DBS Checked?  Yes, we are fully DBS checked and happy to provide details on request

Can you provide a disk of all the children for our system? We always supply a disk for every school. This is part of our complimentary service.

Can you provide sims licenses? Yes! We are a Capita accredited photography company and can provide a sims license. Please contact for details.

What commission rates do you offer? We offer a wide range of commission choices to suit every school. Please get in touch for more details.

Which areas do you cover? We are based in Loughborough but travel far and wide for schools across the country.

Can we have staff photos? Yes. This is a complimentary service at Hardy's School Photography. We also print them completely free of charge!

We need Staff ID Cards can you supply them? Yes. Please get in touch for details.

Can you take Website/ Prospectus photos? Yes, this is a services we often provide at Hardy's School Photography. We can integrate this with your school photography to ensure minimal disruption to your school day.

What else do you provide? Hardy's School Photography can provide anything from simple individual photos to installations spanning metres across a school hall. We pride ourselves on working with any school request and ensuring you receive a service that is tailored to you!

FAQs for Parents

I've missed the return date, can I still order?  Yes. Please get in touch here .

I've lost my child's proof card or envelope, can i still order?  Yes, please contact us .

How long will my order take? If you have returned your proof before the cut off date marked on your child's envelope, you can expect your photos back within two weeks. If you ordered late or directly with us this time may be extended.

There is a problem with my order what shall I do? Please contact us directly here .

I'd like my photo editing. Can this be done? Yes! Bumps, bruises and cuts etc can be easily edited out. We will happily remove or change anything for you, completely free of charge. Please contact us to request this service.

If you can't find the answer above we will be more than happy to help over the phone or by email, you can contact us here .